If you have ever wanted to join Starfleet and travel the stars, you can help your dreams become a bit more real with these 10 creative ways to make you feel like you are living on the Star Trek Enterprise.
Spock and Kirk action figures photo credit JD Hancock, Flickr
1. Sleep like a crew member
- Turn your bedroom into sleeping quarters with Star Trek bedding like comforters and pillows. You’ll especially need the Nap Long and Prosper pillow case.
- Play this video, which contains 8 hours of Star Trek “Sleeping Quarters” ambient sounds.
- You’ll need a pair of these Star Trek themed eye masks to help you sleep at night.
2. Relax and have fun like a crew member
- Pretend you are in the Holodeck with a pair of Virtual Reality Googles that can be used with your cell phone. You can get a pretty decent pair for under $30.
- Play tri-dimensional chess just like Kirk and Spock love to play.
3. Communicate like a member of Starfleet
- The iconic Communicator inspired today’s cell phones!
4. Join Starfleet Academy
- Starfleet Academy is the education branch of STARFLEET: The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc.From their website: We offer a wide variety of courses ranging from testing trivial knowledge of the Star Trek universe to expanding general knowledge about the world around us. SFA’s curriculum has been designed to be offered exclusively to the members of STARFLEET. While the courses we offer are not recognized as a formal education by any established institute of higher learning, they are a fun way to pass the time and to learn something new every day.An individual can join for only $5 and there are family discounts as well.
5. Learn to speak Klingon
You can become a member of the official Klingon Language Institute. Membership is only $10 per year and gives you access to the KLCP course, ebooks, and magazines.
6. Dress up like a crew member
7. Protect yourself like a crew member
8. Cook like a crew member
- First and foremost you need the Star Trek Cookbook, written by Ethan Phillips, who played Neelix. We have this cookbook and love it!
- Next, you’ll need an apron so you don’t get your Starfleet uniform messy. This Captain Kirk apron is perfect.
- For your drinks, Starfleet insignia ice cubes would be nice. You can also use the mold to make chocolates.
- Making pizza for your crew? You’ll need this stainless steel Enterprise shaped pizza cutter
- So you don’t burn your hands, you’ll need this Live Long and Prosper Oven Mitt.
- Set up a Star Trek dinner, complete with Vulcan Plomeek Soup, Ferengi Tube Grubs, Klingon Targ Heart, and more.
9. Study up on your history
Star Trek: The Visual Dictionary
Voyage through a complete illustrated tour of the Star Trek™ Galaxy and explore the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise™, Borg™ technology, The Dominion War, The Q Continuum and much more in Star Trek: The Visual Dictionary. Featuring the celebrated as well as infamous characters, aliens, starships, and technology, this stunning hardcover tome from DK shows the Star Trek Universe as you have never seen it before.
Make your own Borg Cube Bookmark
The Star Trek Book (Big Ideas Simply Explained)
Celebrate 50 years of one of the longest running and beloved sci-fi franchises with The Star Trek Book. This comprehensive guide to the series delves into the myriad worlds and different dimensions visited by the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Discover the amazing science of Star Trek and how it has influenced real-world technology such as flip phones. Featuring informative and analytical text combined with exciting photography and infographics throughout, The Star Trek Book is broken down into main categories such as science and technology, Starfleet, allies and enemies, and more.
10. Of course you need a pet Tribble
*Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.