Last year, a kid told my son that only geeks like books and that reading is stupid. My son just laughed and replied with something along the lines of, “And that is why I am and always will be smarter than you.” He makes me so proud.
Reading should be for everyone! Unfortunately, I just read an infographic today that stated 80% of US families have not read a story together in the past year, and 42% of high school graduates will never read another book for the rest of their lives. Heartbreaking statistics. Buy those kiddos BOOKS! Read together as a family. Let your children see you reading yourself.
Here is a list of some of our favorite geek books. You should note that almost half of them are published by DK Publishing. I am an official DK blogger and love them dearly. I love you all dearly too, so be sure to read to the end because I have a fabulous giveaway that is going to make you jump up and down, especially for you LEGO lovers!
The photo above contains the following books, in order from top to bottom:
- Star Trek: Ships of the Line
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia by DK Publishing
- Star Wars Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia by DK Publishing
- LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia by DK Publishing
- Doctor Who: Character Encyclopedia by DK Publishing
- Doctor Who Encyclopedia by Gary Russell – more on this book later!!
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World by DK Publishing
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World by DK Publishing
- Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
- The Star Trek Encyclopedia
- Star Trek: The Visual Dictionary by DK Publishing
- LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles by DK Publishing
- LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary by DK Publishing
- Star Wars: The Essential Atlas
- The Visual Dictionary of Star Wars, Episode I – The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Darth Vader: A 3-D Reconstruction Log
- Harry Potter (7 Book Boxed Set)
- The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (4 Book Boxed Set)
- Chronicles of Narnia Box Set (7 Book Boxed Set)
Star Wars : Would You Rather?
a booklet full of fun Star Wars themed questions for kids
Of course, we cannot leave out mom! Here are 4 of my favorite cookbooks.
- Dining With The Doctor: The Unauthorized Whovian Cookbook
- The Unofficial Narnia Cookbook: From Turkish Delight to Gooseberry Fool-Over 150 Recipes Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia
- The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: From Cauldron Cakes to Knickerbocker Glory–More Than 150 Magical Recipes for Muggles and Wizards
- The Star Trek Cookbook (this book is written by Neelix from Star Trek: Voyager
Earlier, I highlighted the book Doctor Who Encyclopedia. This is my son’s all-time favorite book. The author, Gary Russell was a script editor on Doctor Who and also editor of the DW magazine. We were blessed enough to receive an autographed copy because my friend Rachel was at an author book signing in Texas and was sitting right next to Gary at their signing table.
Now, onto the giveaway that I promised. DK Publishing is giving away a copy of the new LEGO Minifigure Year by Year: A Visual History.
LEGO® Minifigure Year by Year: A Visual History shows the evolution of this classic toy for the first time ever, with exquisite photography and fascinating facts about each and every minifigure included.
Featuring more than 2,000 of the most significant, popular, and rare minifigures, this engaging reference guide explores minifigures chronologically by theme. Fans will learn little-known facts about their favorite minifigures in this first-ever publishing of the evolution of the famous LEGO minifigure. Includes 3 iconic minifigures!
*Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.